At noon, I picked up Andrew and we made lunch together. There's something so great about having lunch with your significant other, especially if you don't get to eat together during the week.
While snacking on some cashews, I made a medley of protein packed veggies spiced with turmeric and papricka and topped with shaved Emmentaler cheese.
I love the aesthetic of shaved cheese. I added a lot more once I sat down at the table. This cheese is raw, sharp and salty with a bite that accents any food combination. It's on sale this week at Whole Foods, in case you're feeling adventurous in a cheesy way!
I also made a super quick version of hash with some Maine-grown organic potatoes and Maine-grown organic carrots, kale, and onions.
You can still see some of the steam coming off the bowl! I love eating this hot, too hot perhaps. I've been making various versions of this in the pancake pan because it works really well there. Apples have found their way into the dish, and I've also made a potato-less "hash" with just apples and carrots -- it was delicious!
Local Quick "Hash"
- 4-5 potatoes, sliced extra thin I found local potatoes in a 5 lb bag on sale at Whole Foods
- 2 carrots, sliced the same width as the potatoes from our lovely winter farmers' market
- 2 leaves of kale, off the stem, sliced not local in my recipe, but available at Maine farms!
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil If you want to be hardcore local you can use sunflower oil
- hot sauce optional, but totally recommended!
The rest of my day will be spent happily drinking tea, perusing through cookbooks, and shopping at the grocery store (one of my favorite activities).
What are you up to this weekend? Any fun plans involving cooking?